What is a Landing Page
A landing page is the page (or the URL) that a visitor sees when he first comes to a website. The index page is definitely one important landing page of any website.
Apart from that, when someone searches for certain terms in a search engine, many more pages apart from your index page could show up. The user could click on any of the search results, that could include the index page or any sub pages or posts.
So the visitor could click on any of the links that the search engine shows & any page could become a potential landing page. This is especially true for blogs where there are more posts compared to pages making posts more likely to show up on searches.
According to Edward Jackson of the Google Website Optimizer Team, website visitors only spend a few seconds scanning the page they reach after they’ve clicked on an ad & if the product or service they’re looking for isn’t immediately visible, they will leave.
Simple Ways to Make a Great Effective Landing Page
- Have a clear description of your product(s) and service(s) – keep them limited to a few. Assuming that each product or service will also have dedicated pages, you may want to describe 1 or 2 product(s) or service(s) in details
- Keep the Title, Description & Keywords META tags correct & in lines with the content of the page
- make sure that Sitemap.xml file is updated every time the pages are updated
- Do not over kill on keywords. Have key words & key phrases spread normally across the content with a stress on the specific product(s) that are detailed on the page
- Do not clutter information and make it confusing for the visitor to navigate – follow the usual presentation rules of clear content, well designed layout & color schemes – keep your pitch clear & no spelling mistakes
- Keep navigation clear
- Do not fill page with ads – they throw off the visitors concentration & also makes indexing in Search Engines difficult
- Search Engines love new content – you may want to update some portions of the landing page periodically or build in RSS feeds to show updated content frequently
- Link to these landing pages from related external websites
- Do not hide keywords in the page – this is done by coloring keywords with he color of the background making them invisible to the reader, but they are visible in the “eyes” of the search engines
- Try not to have link ads & pop-ads on the landing pages. This is difficult for blog posts but this can be eliminated for blog pages at least. Link Ads or pop-ads are great reasons for the visitor to leave your website
These are very Simple SEO Tips to Create an Excellent Landing Page & give you high conversions.