Last night our Pro Media Blog website was compromised by hackers. They claimed to be an Iranian Internet Attacker group. After 8 hours of effort, thanks to our friends at Creative Themes Design, our WordPress Systems have now been fully restored.
We had to move our hosting services from MM Hosting, who have been failing us (as well as a lot of other small businesses) for good. A large section of MM Hosting’s shared hosting accounts have been compromised in the same attack.
The initial report showed that our business properties hosted on MM Hosting were hacked primarily due to the fact that these attackers were able to break into the shared resources network on the host, gaining access to individual customer’s accounts from the backend.
So essentially, our business came at risk not due to our lack of security measures, but because MM Hosting failed to put up adequate measures to protect their own business. The frustrating part was MM Hosting completely shut down their customer services & failed to provide any assistance to us.
On a prior occasion that almost led to another hack a couple of months earlier, we were told rather rudely by the MM Hosting Help Desk that we should not be calling them but we should hire people to fix any such intrusions! Unbelievable! We could only assume that their customer services were called off on this weekend knowing that they have no answers to the repeat failures.
Our friends at Creative Themes Design have agreed to post the details of how they recovered our hacked WordPress websites shortly, but we wanted to take a moment to let our readers & subscribers know that we are back online!
- Hack Time (approx): 2:00 AM EST, July 4, 2010
- Total Downtime: 18 hours
- Website Restore Time: 8:00 PM EST, July 4, 2010
- Data Loss: Minor (some of the Themes Demos may not work – we are working to fix this quickly)
- Hosting Services were changed from MM Hosting & we now moved to our regular providers
- All broken links on this site have been restored
- All download links on this site have been restored
- All email links on this site have been restored
- Since all our subscription related information is stored outside, behind firewalls, no data were compromised
We apologize for any inconvenience this breakdown may have caused.