New bloggers who intend to drive traffic & make money have 2 challenges in the first 6 months. The first one is surviving Google Search Index . The second is losing popularity over time.
Millions of websites & blogs are created everyday & many of them with the intent of making big bucks from advertising .
So it helps to have a popularity building strategy in place if you want to survive long time.
The strategy changes while your blog’s popularity changes over time. For the new bloggers here are the top 10 tips to increase blog’s popularity & get visitors .
- Publish more than once a week. Some of the influencial bloggers publish five to ten articles a day. Publishing frequently keeps your websliet & blog alive in the eyes of Google Search Engines , Yahoo Search Engines the others
- Publish quality content . Many bloggers in an effort to publish merely copy & paste articles from the popular blogs. This is a disaster in the making. Not only will you not be respected in the community, the search engines will completely ignore your blog & website. Search Engines prefer the websites that publish original content
- Leverage the content already created by experienced bloggers . This is something that new bloggers often ignore. This helps in not only creating your own posts but also give you the ability to link to supporting information from other bloggers
- Focus on only a handful of social networks rather than trying to give everything to all of them. There will be new social networking websites every other day. Pick & choose the social networks that helps to maintain an online identity . For example, if you intend to get more US traffic , dont spend time on Orkut or Meebo . Use Facebook or Linked In networks. Read the Social Network Statistics of Internet Users Spread & Penetration to find the best ones
- Contribute to help new bloggers by providing comments & feedback. This small gesture goes a long way to help building your own network over a period of time. When leaving comments, see that it makes sense & adds value to the blog
- Use Social Network Apps that are RSS readers. There are Facebook Apps that will display your status, your latest posts from your blogs
- Follow the leading bloggers . Subscribe to the pro bloggers that publish similar content & see how they write & what they write. You will see many of them are event reporters (like Tech Bloggers at Tech Crunch ). While you read them, do not copy them. Follow their techniques, how they network, who they network with & how they always credit the relevant fellow bloggers
- Create your own style without compromising on SEO & SMO. Most of the new bloggers table off at monthly traffic of 4000 – 7000 hits a month. That is because they fail to create a new style or keep repeating the same message in different words. If you don’t write effective posts , you will lose readers’ interest as well as the Search Engine ranks
- Ask questions to fellow bloggers when in doubt. reaching out to fellow bloggers with genuine questions & suggestions is a great gesture for mutual success. However, understand that most new bloggers are part time. They have full time jobs & family & they also blog. Be patient when you reach out to others
- Review visitor & advertising data regularly. I am very focussed on reading data. I can experiment from blog layouts to ad layouts & ad effectiveness from simple visitor’s landing & exit page data. Reading & understanding data is a matter of habit that you have to master. Data is the only radar that shows which way your readers want you to go. Use Google Website tracking tools to help you steer your blog to success
If you are a new blogger , we would like to hear your problems & if we have gone through that before, we could help you do better. There are more articles on this site that could help you become a successful blogger .